Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Rainy Day Ramblings from a Tired Teacher

Rainy days in kindergarten seem so much longer than sunny days. They're definitely more tiring.

During the drought I have gotten used to being outdoors regularly each day.  I am not accustomed to being with 25 youngsters all morning long inside a room that's not that big. Here's a look at the rainy day lunchtime. Tell you what: time does not fly by in such conditions.

Mrs. Zell took this photo. She's a hero, believe me.


Of course, the rain is welcome. In a drought like this we NEED it.

We did fine.

We started off the day putting the pennies you guys brought in this morning. By jingo, we might just crawl right out of last place. In the hopes of attracting more pennies for patients, I'll post a picture of the box as it looks this afternoon.

Remember, they're weighing the boxes. Pennies give you the most poundage, dollar for dollar.

PROGRESS

Progress reports will come out March 14. I've been looking into how the kid are doing. I am pleased with the progress I've seen in so many of the kindergarten students.

We got a couple more Soundabet grandmasters, Jacob and Lexi. Plus more waiting in the wings, Aileigh, Evan, and Beck, to name just three.

And we've got another Soundabet master almost ready to hatch—Addison. She knows all the sounds and just has to build up some speed and confidence.

It's great to see so many kids zooming eagerly along the road to reading. It "fills my bucket" as we say in kindergarten.

REHEARSING FOR PASTA NIGHT

We had our final full school rehearsal for the performance you'll see on March 1. We kindergartners need still to work on our lines so that they'll be heard out in the audience. The kids have to practically shout their lines to be heard, and, while getting them to shout is not a big deal, getting them to shout together in UNISON is not so easy. Hopefully we'll get it nailed in the two days we have left.


EDUCATING FOR THE 21st CENTURY

I've got a little more to say on that topic, most of which I'll save for a later post.

As we were making music today I wondered which of the things we did today that might be of some use in 2070 when my students will be as old as I am.

If I had to guess, I'd bet that the most useful things in 2070 will be precisely those things that don't get tested by the standardized test makers and, sadly, ironically, are being cut from the kindergarten curriculum in schools across the nation.

Learning to sing and dance and make music together; to ride bikes, to be a leader and follower in work and in play—all these may actually be of value in 2070.

I intend to keep doing them.

No comments: