Friday, December 21, 2012

Winter Break

Yesterday was Mary's birthday, and by coincidence, also her birthday. She brought her 4-H guinea pigs to share and her mom brought one of the rabbits she's been raising since she was, herself, a youngster involved in animal husbandry.


We all got a chance to give the rabbit a pat on its head.

*************************************************************



Today was the first day of winter. The days begin to lengthen ever so slightly starting tomorrow.

We had our Winter Solstice Concert this morning in the Community Room. The Principal, the sixth grade and many parents came to see it. I thought the kindergartners did very well. (I was not able to take photos as I was playing the ukulele during most of the concert.)

After, we had some well-deserved time to play, then we went through our usual routines and story time (Dr. Seuss's How the Grinch Stole Christmas) before the classroom party began.



Santa came by to give everyone a little candy cane.







He brought me a wooden sign, just like the one I had written him about.




As I read the story, the room moms and the volunteer helpers got the tables set up for making gingerbread houses with milk carton armatures covered with graham crackers and decorations affixed with white frosting. Here are some photos showing the works in progress.










It's getting pretty close to Christmas. My adult children are both traveling to be with us this Christmas, the first time in some years when we've been all together, the four of us, for the holidays. We pick them up in SFO tomorrow. I am looking forward to it.

During the holiday I am sure that I miss my kindergarten friends.

We will gather back together in January 2013 first thing Monday morning.

Until then,

Be well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We hope you had a wonderful Christmas with your family! Madilynn misses you and all her friends so much! We had to check out the blog to get our kindergarten fix! See you in January!

Dan Gurney said...

Thanks for leaving a comment. I am having a good time with the family. I am missing the kindergarten, too.

Polish translator said...

The Santa Claus surrounded by kids looked great! The most moving picture.