Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Kindergartners in Blue Tomorrow/Milestones/Amazing Moments

Yesterday the kindergartners voted unanimously to wear blue tops (shirts, jackets, sweatshirts, etc.) for tomorrow's WEAR THE SAME COLOR Spirit Day. A number of us elected to change our original votes to achieve this consensus, but we all ended up on the same page. Here's what the voting looked like at the end:

All the votes on top were for blue
This morning we began with a look at what pet they would choose to get if given a choice. Dogs were the most popular choice with 16 students selecting dogs.

Hamsters were a strong second.
Several kindergartners reached milestones today with a bunch more on the list for tomorrow:

MacKenzie mastered her Queen's Cards

Nathan read all his classmates' names,

and Kayla K did, too. Way to go!


One fine moment came when I paused in our read aloud book on this page just after I read the words, "He quickly added—"  and turned the book around so the class could see it. "Can anyone read the word Jack added to his journal," I asked.

The class scrunched up their eyes and studied the word I was pointing to.  I could see their lips move as they tried to sound out the word. Caleb's eyes flashed and his hand went up.

"Caleb, do you think you know the word Jack added?" I asked.

"Amazing," he answered.

"Yes, amazing. It's amazing. That's not a kindergarten word, and you just read it. Way to go, Caleb. That's what happens when you learn the Soundabet. After while you can sound out some really big words." Caleb beamed. He glowed. And I wouldn't be surprised if he tingled with happiness.


2 comments:

Alicia Petersen said...

I know I'm beaming with pride!

Dan Gurney said...

That makes me happy!