Monday, February 20, 2012

The Toolbox Project

Friday, as you may know, the Dunham staff was given our initial training in the Toolbox Project.

We are all enthusiastic about this new program. I have been hearing about The Toolbox Project from my most respected kindergarten teacher friends from other districts. They all give it their highest praise.

The Toolbox Project promotes social and emotional intelligence. It will benefit not only the students here, but it will have a positive influence on our whole school community.

Over my career, I have spent a lot of time thinking about social and emotional skills because I know that unless a child feels safe and happy, he or she will have difficulty learning.

What makes me so excited about Toolbox is that I've never seen such a sensible and teachable program as this one.

Friday was among the best inservice trainings I've had in my entire career. I spent a good part of Sunday going through the binder and I've most of the day here at school getting ready for our launch of this program in kindergarten starting tomorrow, Tuesday.

Here's a sneak peek at just two parts of the program:

The icons for the 12 tools in Toolbox

The puppets who help teach Toolbox in kindergarten
This week we begin with the first of two introductory units on the Toolbox Project.

I will be posting more about Toolbox in the weeks ahead as we go through the lessons.

No comments: