Friday, January 20, 2012

Friday, January 20, 2012

Early today we played a game of "Number Squeeze" where I pick a number between 1 and 100 and ask students guess what it is. With each guess, I give them information as to whether their guess was too high or too low.

Clearly it had been too long since we last played the game.

Students guessed more than once numbers less than the lower limit or more than the upper limit. Many guesses were adjacent to the limit rather than halfway between the limits. A skillful guesser will guess in the middle of the known limits because that strategy will produce quicker results.

Number Squeeze will have to go on the agenda again....

Later in the day we played "What's My Rule," a game I introduced to the class earlier this week. This time rather than using color or shape as the significant attribute I chose something new. It took quite a while for most of the class to figure out what my sorting criteria was. Have used color and shape previously, most students reverted to looking for color or shape to see which was currently the basis of my sorting rule. But they could see that all the colors and all the shapes were on both sides. A moment of collective confusion, "How can that be?" The moment of confusion was soon followed by insight.

Every color and every shape appeared on both sides. To see the new rule, they had to let go of looking for colors and shapes. Here is a picture of the final sort. Can your child tell you what the sorting rule was? (It is easy once you see it.)




Ah, the first really rainy day all year, at least as far as I can remember. As I unlocked the kindergarten door this morning the students came into the classroom and proceeded to roar around the room as if running off a strong triple espresso. It helped to move our classroom band right to the front of the day and let them bang out a simple rhythm and sing a few familiar songs including Jingle Bells.

With some well-timed dances mixed into a schedule that included recess indoors, we made it through the day fine. But truth be told, the fresh air and sunshine does wonders for them and for me. I'm glad the rain is here and want more of it. I'm ready with a truck load full of rainy day activities. So let's cross our fingers that the rains keep coming.

Here's what the class looked like when I returned during morning recess.


Busy, active, and interactive play

It's all good.

Be well.




2 comments:

Kayla said...

Hi there!

I nominated you for The Versatile Award! I just recently stumbled across your blog and am glad I did. I'm always looking for new inspiration and love how blogs provide a little "window" into different classrooms :)

If you wish to accept, the details can be found at my blog, Kindergarten Lesson Plans!

Have a wonderful week and thanks again for sharing your ideas with all of us in the early childhood blogging community!

Kayla Johnson

Dan Gurney said...

Thank you, Kayla. I am honored that you chose me to receive this award. I am pleased to share my ideas online. I do it mostly for the parents and families of my students and secondly to provide a look in my room to other teachers.

Because I have so little interest in becoming a famous or awarded blogger, I now simply acknowledge awards, but don't engage in the process of passing them on.