Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Volunteers on Tuesday?

I'm hopeful that we can find someone willing to help us out on Tuesday mornings. We were two tables short today, so we had to delete some of the center activities in favor of activities the students can do independently.

Room Parents

The PTO would like me to identify two people to be room parents for the kindergarten this year. With help from other volunteers, room parents organize and lead four 45 minute classroom celebrations each year: Halloween, Winter Holidays, Valentine's Day, and Spring Break. Typically these celebrations include some sort of decoration of the room, a craft activity, a game activity and a snack connected to the season. I help with a story and some singing. It's fun, and a nice way to support the classroom if weekly volunteering is more than you can manage.

Today in Kindergarten

One of our activities was related to geometry: putting shapes into a container and seeing if the students could identify the shapes by touch alone.


You might be surprised to learn that about half the time a child selected the wrong one.  It takes practice to learn how to identify shapes by touch alone.


Life continues to be very good in kindergarten.

Be well.

4 comments:

Alicia Petersen said...

I would love to help by being a room parent! Sign me up!
And I could help with Tuesday centers also. Sign me up! I'll try to remember to put my name on the board.

Alicia Petersen said...

On a different note. Caleb and Nolan both have pink eye!! Err/Ugg Poor guys. They are on antibiotics but Caleb won't be able to be at school tomorrow and probably not Thursday either. I help with centers one of those days so I wanted to make sure to give you a heads up. SO sorry!

Dan Gurney said...

Thank you, Alicia! That's great. Consider yourself signed up.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Alicia,

Regarding the maladies, I put that news at the top of the Wednesday post. Thanks for letting us know.