Friday, September 16, 2011

Friday, September 16, 2011

We are just 17 days into the school year and the class is already well settled into kindergarten class procedures and routines. It is a real pleasure to come to work: your children are a credit to you and to their preschool teachers.

Jake was the person of the day today. His mom sent carrot sticks and some delicious homemade zucchini bread that was very popular with the kindergartners.

Jake brought a read aloud story to school about a world populated with letters called "alphabet rescue."





Today we had PE. When I asked Mrs. Campbell how the kids were for her, she said, "Everybody was AWESOME!!" which was exactly what I was hoping she would say (because they are awesome).



I am teaching our students to cooperate and be polite and respectful and to notice that it is rewarding in  itself: it just feels good. Showing respect and being cooperative help the people around you to feel happier. When you're surrounded by happy people, you're more likely to be happy yourself. It's a positive feedback loop—a good thing to feel and experience.

I know that these ideas are getting across because I am seeing more and more pro-social behavior in the class.

We'll celebrate their awesomeness with more time for bikes Monday.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Be well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jake said he forgot to tell you but he grew the carrots he shared!

Dan Gurney said...

That's really great—I wish he had told us that so I could have celebrated that fact. Well, it's not too late. We'll do it tomorrow.

Mr. Fuqua said...

My kindergarten class loves the whole series of "alphabet" books! In fact, we just read "Alphabet Adventure", and "Alphabet Mystery" last week!

Mr. Fuqua said...

My kindergarten class loves the whole series of "alphabet" books! In fact, we just read "Alphabet Adventure", and "Alphabet Mystery" last week!

Dan Gurney said...

That's great, Mr. Fuqua. I ought to follow your lead and read some more of them.

My favorite alphabet book is A is for Salad by Mike Lester, but it's a bit too early in the year to read it now.