Friday, August 19, 2011

Come Monday

Welcome to kindergarten!

I hope your summer has been chock full of learning and fun. I hope you feel, as I do, refreshed, rested, and fulfilled by your summertime activities in these languid months of June, July, and August.

My summer began and ended with my family. In June we all gathered in Lake Tahoe. Now in the closing days of summer, my wife and I are visiting our grown daughter in New York City. Here's a picture of me enjoying an unsweetened green iced tea (you have to specify unsweetened) as I try to post this from the Starbucks nearby.


Everyone on the Dunham team is looking forward to the year ahead, but no one more than yours truly. I can honestly say that I never allowed myself to dream that someday I would have the pleasure of working on the Dunham staff with two male colleagues. This happy situation is completely unprecedented, not only in my thirty plus years here, but as far as I know, in all of Dunham's 141 year history.

I am delighted to be a part of this new team. Not that I have anything but gratitude for the many fine and talented female colleagues I have had the pleasure to work with over the years—just that balance is welcome whether in classrooms, boardrooms, or on faculties. I welcome with enthusiasm both Mr. Adam Schaible, our new principal/superintendent and Mr. Rick Hanson, our new RSP teacher.

I hope all of you will be able to come to the PTO's ice cream social on Monday, August 22 from 1:30 to 3:30. I plan to be there to say hello to all, new friends and old friends alike.

Look for another post here late Monday afternoon to learn more about the first day of school.

For now, enjoy these last few days of summer.

Be well.


School will start next Wednesday morning at 8:00.


1 comment: