Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Oops! I didn't prepare the homework for tonight, so everyone has the day off in that department.

Our center using loupes to look closely at nickels is going well. Besides just looking at them, I'm trying to get across the idea that they're each worth five cents so that we can use them to practice counting by fives. It's one of those standards for kindergarten that seems to me to go well over the heads of many of my students, but oh well.

There was keen interest in drawing the loupes using a very simple shaded pencil technique. Look here you can see what today's group did:


These drawings were made as Table 3 was making "Egg in a Hole" a recipe that filled the classroom with yummy breakfasty aroma. After centers we adjourn to the mat to read books together. I took a photo so you can see what that looks like:



Somehow we managed to get everything done today. It kept me so busy that I didn't remember to pick up my camera for the rest of the day. But in there we did our math routines, 5th grade buddies, snack, dance, story, handwriting, music with Andrew, "No-Waste" Lunch, and Tribes. We decided not to venture out into the "rain" for gardening (other tribes did) in favor of indoor games, Four Corners and Musical Chairs.

A good day.

.... and no homework.

No comments: