Wednesday, March 9, 2011

March 9, 2011

I've been working to complete the report cards that are scheduled to go out in this Friday. It's really a pleasure to take the time to focus on each child individually and record their progress. We've all come such a long way in the first two trimesters and had many a good time, too. You'll get a copy of the official report card that you may keep.

Here are a few photos to show some of the activities today. The report for Ryan's day:








We had time to share with our buddies from fifth grade. Elsa and her buddy Emily worked in the new Dwarf House:





A number of others wanted to make some art:





Tonight's homework invites you to look at the calendar for March and to talk about how calendars help us plan and remember big chunks of time called months and years.  Bear in mind that five year old children have been around for about 60 months. That's about the same chunk of time that a year represents for me, proportionally speaking. The reason I say this is to help you appreciate how huge a month is from your child's perspective.



One event to consider adding to your family calendar is Wednesday, March 23, a spirit day at Dunham. The Student Council asks that students dress up as their favorite hero.

I may just dress up as Mr. Rogers who has found a place in my pantheon of heroes since he exemplified a caring, compassionate, and slow-paced approach to his television neighborhood. I don't have a TV, but I still remember his television personality. Is he still on television? Does anyone remember Mr. Rogers?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course I remember Mr. Roger's.

Kelli

Anonymous said...

I had a black and white tv as a kid, but I remember Mr. Roger's.

Kelli

Dan Gurney said...

Thanks, Kelli! Is Kelli the only one? Did other people like him as much as I did?

Anonymous said...

I was only allowed to watch PBS and he was my favorite. I don't think he's on t.v. anymore.

Celia

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Celia! If they air his show, it would have to be reruns. He died Feb 27, 2003. I miss him.