Tuesday, March 22, 2011

March 22, 2011

It's said that there's no key to the universe.

Luckily, the universe was left unlocked.



That's how I'm feeling right now after working with the kids in KIDS club this afternoon. Most of them have learned the Soundabet almost completely and mastered them to the point that they're quick and automatic. I was putting together cards like OY-S-T-ER and asking the kids to "sing" the sounds together instead of saying them in ordinary speech, which tends to separate the sounds.

So the students were singing the Soundabet sounds together: "oyster" and "storm" and "cartoon" and on and on.

We teachers live for days when the learning all comes together and the students act like it's easy to read. Of course it's easy... once you know how. I feel grateful for all the parents who've given their kids practice at home.

A good today with the whole class, too. We did have a lot absent: Elena, Elsa, Gavin, Mollie. Elena's grandpa brought snack in even though she was not able to come in today. Thank you!

Ryan demonstrated his mastery of the Soundabet and got the class it's full choice time at the end of the day. It was Danny's birthday today and tomorrow it will be Alyssa's.


Jaden working on Zoobs

Lilly did a wax melt drawing.


The birthday boy

A tower

3 comments:

shari said...

thank you for letting Ryan do the soundabet..he didn't even tell us he did it! You will have another absent tomorrow...Ryan's gram picked him up from school today and now he is not feeling too well..all of my bragging about him not getting sick has come back to bite me! The flu has stuck! Please let me know what homework we have tomorrow and I will make sure we do it. Shari

Dan Gurney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Shari. I'm sorry to hear about the flu. I think it's going around the class. I know a couple of other kids who got it.

Yes, Ryan got did the Soundabet well. I forgot to give him his deck of Queen's cards at the end of the day. They'll be waiting for him when he gets back.

The homework is getting more of those Take-Home Math at Home booklets. No worries.