Thursday, February 17, 2011

Thursday, February 17, 2011

This old guy would skate, I'm sure of that!


The good news is Maddie Everson did not break her arm last night at the roller skating event. She only sprained it.

That's the reason (in case you were wondering) why I don't go to "Skate Night"—too dangerous for an older guy like me who never skated much to begin with. The first one I went to, years ago, I fell badly on my arm. I thought it was broken. I lost a day of work and over the next few weeks nursed a very badly sprained wrist back to health.

Mrs. Everson got in by mid morning with the good news, a relief to all of us. We got through the morning hour usually devoted to our learning centers by doing a Cat-in-the-Hat drawing lesson, work made much easier with the generous help of my room moms who once again went the extra mile for the kindergarten. THANK YOU!

Finally! New art for the front wall.

Such good drawings
We had our weekly drama lesson with our drama teacher, Dana Davis. She provided props and the students improvised mini scenes using the props.

It's been a long time since we found time to be with our third grade buddies. The rain-canceled our usual bicycle time, so we joined with our friends from third grade for some time to share art

Marley and Kiyana doing art in the third grade room.

Watercolors were available, too.


or Lego constructions, depending on interest









Alyssa's oldest sister (seventh grader and Dunham Kindergarten graduate) Natasha Mc Kenney had a day off school and stayed with us all day long to help the students in countless ways. I heard many students say how much they liked Natasha.

Natasha earned Dunham School's most prestigious award last spring: the Dunham Outstanding Citizen Award. She was selected by the staff as the most helpful, considerate, thoughtful, and kind student in a graduating class that was full of many fine citizens.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to say thank you for having Natasha stay in Kindergarten today. She had so much fun and told me how much she misses you and kindergarten.

Michelle

Jonelle Bell said...

I would love to know more about the Cat in the Hat drawing lesson. Please share.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Michelle— by the way Natasha was beaming, I could tell she had a good time. At the end of the day I told her she's welcome back anytime she's got a day off and would like to hang out at Dunham.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Jonelle--it's one of the lessons in the K portion of a K-6 art program that our school adopted for art instruction in the classroom. It comes with DVDs of the lesson and a binder. I like it a lot. It's called, oddly, "Arts Attack" but don't let the name put you off. It's a good, kid-tested, kid centered, teacher developed art curriculum. Here's a URL:

http://www.artsattack.com/

Shari moore said...

It was so great to have Natasha in class today. It was fun to watch her interact with the kids. She looked like she was enjoying it as well. it's so nice for our children to have such a great role model to look up to. Ryan enjoyed having her there.

Jonelle Bell said...

Thanks for the inspiration!!

A Place Called Kindergarten

Dan Gurney said...

Jonelle, You are welcome. I like your blog!

Trisha said...

I was wondering if Anonymous is the same person leaving Deanna Jumps blog mean comments.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Trisha, I don't know. The comment at the top of this string wouldn't do that. I know who she is, and she's one of the parents in my room. She's as nice as they come.