Thursday, January 27, 2011

Wax Museum

I don't know about you, but when I was in fifth grade I had to write—let me be frank here—really boring reports on famous people. My problem was this: I knew that anything I had to say about a figure from history would pale beside the account of the authors whose works I based my report on.

These days, thanks to better teaching, students have fewer reports like mine to write, turn in, get graded on, and throw away. Today's fifth graders (at our school, anyway) get to portray the historical figures they profile, complete with monologue, gestures, and costume.

Our kindergarten class visited our buddy fifth grade class today to see their "Wax" museum. We saw our fifth grade friends dressed in costume. Each had a red button, which, when pushed, would bring the figure to life to tell their story.

Because we're kindergarten, we got the premiere performance. Tours of the wax museum continued all afternoon and were enjoyed by everyone at Dunham.

I was mesemerized. Still, I managed to snap a few photos to share here.














9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was so lucky to be subbing today and given the opportunity to visit the "Wax Museum" with my class! It is definitely an idea to steal:)
Lisa

Dan Gurney said...

Hey, Lisa, it is so good to see you at our school. We're fortunate to have an educator such as you fill in for us. Use the wax museum freely. It ain't stealing when it's shared for free.

Melody said...

I remember those reports. No fun.... THIS however is fun and I'm sure the fifth graders will remember it for a lifetime:)

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Melody, thanks for leaving a comment. We educators would do well to remember the things we did in school which were meaningless and zero fun. And then make sure we leave them behind.

Anonymous said...

So much fun! I bet our Kinders had a great time pushing those buttons :)
April

Dan Gurney said...

They're often pushing buttons! Unflappable gray-haired teachers know how to keep their buttons well out of sight.

Anonymous said...

LOL!

April

dtarca said...

Ahhh..you got a pic of Sam. Thank you! I was so happy for her that she was able to do it. Such a great way for kids who aren't comfortable speaking to 'practice' without feeling like they are the center of attention.

Dan Gurney said...

Ah, yes, James Cook! The Wax Museum is a great idea. I hope some teacher out there sees this post and gives it a try in his/her classroom, thus spreading the idea around for others to benefit.