Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Dinosaurs on Ice

This is a note of warning to my fellow teachers. If you decide to try the ice excavation project, use care in selecting the container you use to hold the water. I ruined one of my treasured plastic storage boxes when the expansion of the ice proved too much for the plastic it was made from. Its bottom split under the pressure and it's on its way to the landfill now.

A good box made useless by ice


Perhaps my readers know of a solution to this problem and can share it in the comments section.

And, if I didn't mention it before: to get the dinos in the middle of a block of ice, first fill it halfway with water and freeze it solid. Add the dinos on the top surface of the ice and then pour the second half of the water on top. The plastic dinos sink, so they stay in the middle.

RRROOAAR! It's cold in here!


When the second layer of water freezes you've got what you want: dinosaurs in the middle of a big block of ice.

It took our kindergartners about 30 minutes to free the dinosaurs. I add the dinos to our Cuisinere rods where they add some interest and character to the explorations.



The foundations of a good building


Dinosaur hotel

Danny knew this one was too tall.


Other activities today included a lesson by Miss Roach about counting syllables in words by clapping them, P.E., and the usual routines.

We also used a real pasta machine (an artifact of a cooking fad in the 80's) to make modeling dough linguine. Yum.

No instructions needed 

So fun

2 comments:

Lynola said...

Use an ice cream bucket so it is not so sad if it breaks. I have also done this activity with small plastic animals frozen in ice cube trays. It's a bit noisy and messy when they 'save' the animals, but really fun for them and hilarious to watch.

Dan Gurney said...

Thanks, Lynola. I just got home to discover I've wrecked another container. I'm not sure I know what an ice cream bucket is. I'm gonna keep trying!