Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Day 14

Today we sorted Legos bricks and added them to our menu of choices at choice time. Mrs. Gronlund taught the lesson (it was a lesson, actually—a disguised math lesson in sorting and classifying). Her lesson went very well. She had a bunch of her fellow student teachers and her SSU professor looking on as she taught. We all agreed that she did very well.

Tomorrow we'll teach another lesson in math, this one about volume. I'll try to take some photos and show you what the students discover. We will also start our excellent music program with Andrew tomorrow, as well as visit the school library.

A new set of center will arrive Thursday.  We need parent volunteers to fill some vacancies in our volunteer chart. Without them, I have to plan centers that do not require leadership. I hope we can attract enough volunteers to lead 6 centers each morning. Here's a note you'll find in your child's hands asking for your help as a classroom volunteer:






Please try to help us. The quality of the centers depends on getting more help leading centers.

You can add your name to the volunteer chart by the door:




Thank you!

4 comments:

Lynola said...

What do you have parent volunteers do? I have more volunteers than I know what to do with. I'm used to teaching all on my own. What are the best ways you use parents?

Dan Gurney said...

Parent volunteers lead small group learning centers at the beginning of the kindergarten day, from 8:15 to 8:45. I have 24 students in my class, that is six groups with 4 students per group. I try to have enough volunteers to lead all the groups. Most years it works out that way.

Cindy Sakai said...

I'd like to volunteer for the Friday slot if it's still available.

Dan Gurney said...

Cindy, it's yours. Thanks for sharing the happy news about Ted. Yeah!