Saturday, June 19, 2010

Paper Screening

I spent a good part of Friday reviewing the applications for the Instructional Assistant position we'll be filling over the summer.

I am happy for Mrs. Frech that she will be moving on to her area of specialty in business, but I feel sad to lose her expertise and her trustworthiness. Mrs. Frech got to know her job really well. She could almost reading my mind when there was something I needed to her do.

This weekend I'm writing and rewriting the questions that the interview committee will ask the people who will interview for the job next week.

Whom we choose to fill the role of Instructional Assistant is one of the most important decisions I will make this summer. The fact is this: the Instructional Assistant is critical to help keep things running smoothly in our classroom. To an outsider, a well-run kindergarten may look like a breeze, as if there's nothing to it.

Actually, running a kindergarten classroom can be an exacting job. Small mistakes can quickly snowball into large problems and before you know it the safety, happiness, and kindness I'm trying to achieve in my class can go out the window. Above all, I need someone whom I can trust to define the boundaries and give the support children need in just the right ever-changing proportions.

2 comments:

Barbra Stephens said...

I hope you find the perfect one. I sometimes feel a bit uneasy around the time of looking for that right person. Asking the right questions can really make a difference.
You are so right about a well run classroom. With the ratio you have in Kindergarten good assistance or definately a pillar to success.

Dan Gurney said...

Thank you, Barbra. We're working on the questions; you're right--that's really important. We have some good candidates, so I feel pretty confident we'll be able to maintain the quality of the program.