Friday, June 4, 2010

Mr. Kindergarten

I'm still reeling with pleasure from being honored on the last day of school with a sculpture by Patrick Amiot of me on my bicycle.

It took me completely by surprise.

Wow. I was sort of speechless (and probably should have been completely speechless) when Tonia handed me the microphone, but oh well, at least I didn't lose any sleep thinking of what I might say on such an occasion. I don't know if I made any sense. Probably not, but that's okay.

Anyway, here's what the sculpture looks like.

I'll be posting more thoughts about it in the days to come:

6 comments:

Lizzy said...

Congrats, Dad! What a wonderful tribute to your years at Dunham :)

Love,
Lizzy

Dan Gurney said...

Thanks, Elizabeth!!!

I think I mentioned how much gratitude I feel for Sarah and you and Ted in my disorganized speech.

Kerri Petersen said...

You deserve it Mr. Gurney! I am just sorry I missed it as I was in the hospital having an emergency c-section. I did have people take some photos for me and fill me in on your reaction. Sounds like it went exactly as planned. You are very well loved by many - students and parents alike. Congratulations! Your dedication and passion is amazing. I've arranged to have a story and photos posted on Sonoma Family Life magazine's website as well. Christa volunteered to write it, so we'll let you know when it's published. THANK YOU!

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Kerri.

Thank you. I'm sorry you weren't able to be there, too. I cannot think of a better explanation for not being there than the one you provide.

I was completely surprised. I'm delighted that you've arranged to have it published in the Sonoma Family Life magazine's website. Thanks. Gee, you make me feel wonderful.

Shelby said...

dear mr. gurney i hope your having a good summer
love shelby

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Shelby—

Thank you. I'm having a good summer, but to tell you the truth, I'm missing my friends in kindergarten. I spent part of the day at school today cleaning up the room. I miss you all.

Love, Mr. Gurney