Sunday, April 11, 2010

Painted Lady Butterfly!!

The natural world is full of the most amazing wonders.

Like caterpillars turning into butterflies.

As a precaution, I took home our kindergarten butterfly hotel just in case any of the chrysalises decided to hatch during Spring Break.

And, tonight, Sunday, on the very last evening of the break, the first of them popped out. Oh glory, be! I released her (him? not sure, but with a name like Painted Lady, I'll guess her) into my back yard between rainshowers and took a portrait.



Isn't she a beauty? I feel like a proud papa.

Tomorrow I'll bring the hotel to school. Don't be surprised to see more butterflies.

2 comments:

Barbra Stephens said...

How majestic 'she' is!
I am smiling because that definitely seems like something you would do....
Take great care with the smallest of creations and celebrate them to the fullest.
I am SO glad you work with children,Dan.....
:)

Pauline said...

Splendid! To me one of the really precious things you can share with children is join in their wonder at the hatching of chrysalises. And that is one beautiful butterfly!