Monday, February 22, 2010

Back at It

One of the moms asked me this morning, "So how did you like Ski Week?' She has older kids at our school and knows that this was the first time in the 139 year history of Dunham School that we took a whole week off in February for skiing.

Well, first of all, I don't ski. I don't actually have fun in the snow, having been born near Syracuse New York where snow is mostly a bother. "I'd much rather have had 5 three day weekends," I replied. "That way I would have had enough time on the weekend to do something fun."

As it turned out, I got a lot of nagging projects done around the house. We got a new disposall in the kitchen. The crabapple is pruned. And I got Soundabet all caught up. I didn't have much fun. No trips to Florida. I never got out of West Sonoma County.

What surprised me most was I actually missed the class. Being away from school at a time when I'm normally ON was new and it felt strange. I felt glad to be a kindergarten teacher.

When I got back to school this morning a bunch of kids said they'd missed school, too, so I guess I'm not the only one. By the time we were singing "Each of us is a flower, growing in life's garden," I was good old happy Mr. Gurney, and feeling grateful to be a kindergarten teacher....

2 comments:

Barbra Stephens said...

I know what you mean. I miss it when I'm away, too.

Dan Gurney said...

Barbra, I can tell from your posts that you would also miss teaching when you're away from it.