Sunday, November 15, 2009

Old Computer

NO WONDER my computer failed! It was NINE years old, ancient by computer standards. Built in the year 2000. Here's a picture of its bottom with the date to prove its venerable age.




Think how old that is.  It was a long time ago.

When I first hefted the iMac onto my teacher's desk...

  • Clinton was president;
  • the economy was humming right along as if it would never seriously falter;
  • the children I'm teaching now were not yet a sparkle in their father's eyes;
  •  the Twin Towers and World Trade Seven stood tall in lower Manhattan;
  • Fallujah or Abu Ghraib or Kabul—who heard of them?; 
  • global warming was happening, but who knew?

It seems a very long time ago.

I pulled my old Soundabet computer out of retirement and it's working fine. It's only 6 years old. It's full of nice photos and music, and it's always served me well. Its only fault (and the reason why it was ultimately replaced) is that it's a loud machine by any standard. It hums louder than the Giant at the top of Jack's bean stock and is just as strong. Fee, Fi, Fo, Fum.

In the kindergarten office I'm not going to notice its happy humming, so I'm a happy teacher.





2 comments:

James Gurney said...

Did it give any signs before it crashed? Hope you had your data backed up!

Dan Gurney said...

No, it just refused to boot up one day. No back ups.