Thursday, November 19, 2009

Look! There's IS!

Teach kindergartners the Soundabet and suddenly they're noticing digraphs (for that's what we call English sounds that require two letters to write down) in print all around them. Suddenly they see (and can read) words like "shampoo" because they see the Soundabet "sh" and "oo" and know how to sound them out. It's magic.

Teach kindergartners to read "sight words" and suddenly they're noticing sight words that we teach words like "the" "is" and, well, "like" and "and" itself. Suddenly they see (and can read) short sight words. Trust me they see them everywhere.

One scholar took a look at this shirt and exclaimed, "Look! There's 'is'!"




I did not see the word "is" on that shirt.

It seemed to me that the shirt read, "beware of bears!"

But teach kindergarten a while. You'll learn to ask questions and be more flexible in your thinking and seeing.

"You see 'is' on that shirt?" I asked.

"Yes. It's right there."

And he points to the word "bears."

"You see is there?"

"Yes, Mr. Gurney. I see it. Can't you?"

I looked more closely.

"Not, really... to me it says "bears," I said.

No it doesn't. It says "is" I-S. Is.

And of course, how could I miss it?

It was there. You just have to look.


7 comments:

Barbra Stephens said...

That is precious!
You have instilled "Teacher & Pupil" in your kids.
Awesome!

Dan Gurney said...

Thanks, Barbra. It IS always a pleasure to teach young children.

Lisa said...

I thought there was no way to find "is" on that shirt! I had to look twice. I just subbed three weeks in a kindergarten class. I loved it!! It brought back a lot of memories of student teaching in your class:)

Dan Gurney said...

Three weeks!! Great! I hope you had a really good time. I'll bet they loved you.

dtarca said...

Well that took a while to find but WOW!! Attention to detail! Their minds are workin!

Barbra Stephens said...

Yes, it !s a pleasure.

Dan Gurney said...

Hi Debbie—

Yes, those kinders really see the world out there. I've got to work to keep up with their lively intelligences.