Saturday, August 29, 2009

Recruiting a Teacher

Building high towers out of the cardboard blocks is fun for kindergartners. The only problem is...their ambitions are taller than their bodies. I allow them to carefully use stools or chairs to get their building taller.

However a well-constructed tower isn't wobbly even at those heights. They know they could get their building taller, if only they could reach higher. It's fun to watch them problem-solve this and see the idea appear in their minds that they could recruit a taller person to help.

I'm always happy to oblige if asked to add a few blocks to the top of a tower they've created. Here's one that went up Friday.



Sad to say, they didn't work quickly enough to put the blocks away before time ran out—more than a few students continued to play when it was time to clean up—so these blocks shall stay on the shelves on Monday.

8 comments:

teach5 said...

No sterotyping there! Every construction engineer in your picture is a girl! LOL, I like the idea that things can disappear for awhile. We've had that conversation in my room as well and sadly, it usually takes a physical demonstration of the principle, to get the point across.

Lynola said...

Car and Lego centers were both closed one day in my room too. It takes a while for them to realize that the clean up song means right away! (I use a great song by Lynne Stone, whom I heard in concert at my school when I was about Kindergarten age, called "Pick It Up and Put It Away". It is upbeat and funny, and long enough that the room should be able to get cleaned up before the end. Then if they're sitting quietly they might hear the animal at the end of the song.)

Rinkly Rimes said...

You take me right back to my 'kindy' teaching days. I've been retired nearly twenty years now but I know I'd still love a class of my own.

Dan Gurney said...

Teach 5-- I hadn't noticed that they were all girls. Most of the boys were running around the floor driving their Hot Wheels.

Dan Gurney said...

Lynola, I guess a lot of us use music to prompt and to limit the amount of time it takes to clean up. This year's class had been batting 1000 until Friday. But as all good teachers know, the rules are perfectly watertight early in the year: what you say, it what will happen.

Dan Gurney said...

Rinky Rimes, I think I'll feel the same way. Teaching kindergarten is a very rewarding (but often challenging) was to spend a day!

ccape2662 said...

I would just like to say that as a parent, I am thrilled that I have a way of seeing my son's day at school and those wonderful moments that happen when kids are just being kids. This allows me to truly appreciate my son's teacher, his assistant and the school overall. 2009-2010 is going to be a great year! Thank you Mr. Gurney.

Christa Cape (Stephen's Mom)

Dan Gurney said...

Hi, Christa. Thanks for leaving a comment. I'm glad you like kindergarten, too. I hope you'll leave more comments.