Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Luke's Good Answer

It takes a watchful eye to manage 28 kindergartners. For everyone to be happy, the teacher needs to know when and how to intervene when students need help getting along.

This morning Zaria and Sophia were playing in the Lego area. Zaria had a little Lego monkey, but she did not want to share it with Sophia. Sophia clearly wanted it and explained that it had been her monkey first. I could see they needed help. I explained to Zaria that having a friend is better than having a toy. I suggested that she share the monkey with Sophia with the request that when Sophia was done that she would return it to her. This worked and they played amicably the rest of the play time.

Later, I used the incident as a simple math lesson.

"If Zaria had five toy monkeys and she gave three of them to Sophia, how many monkeys would Zaria have?"

"Two," came the answer everyone knew.

"And" raise your hand if you know this answer, "How many friends would she have?" I asked. A sea of hands went up for this easy answer. I called on Luke.

"Twenty eight," he said.

3 comments:

Sarah Lulu said...

I agree friends are more important than toys!

A wonderful story Dan.

Delwyn said...

This is a gorgeous story about children but more importantly about your skill as a teacher. I hope that when you retire you look back over your career with pride for the wonderful gifts that you have shared with so many children over how many generations now - two?

Dan Gurney said...

I've taught in the school I work in for 28 years. Three of the youngsters in my current class are children of former students, grandstudents, if you will.

And yes, friends are WAY more important than toys.