Tuesday, February 3, 2009

K'Nex

If you're not careful, any toy in kindergarten will, in the hands of boys, become a firearm.

They may stick a sidearm under a belt and tell you it's a flashlight, but I used to be a boy, and I know better.

Danny's dinosaur/giraffe

But if you're vigilant, you can encourage imaginations to venture in other directions. My strategy has long been to confiscate toys that become weapons, making it clear I'll withhold them again and again (with longer periods of confiscation) until the impulse to arm themselves can be resisted.


Danny building


David's truss

1 comment:

debrennersmith said...

My 17 year old son has boxes and boxes of K'nex. He adores them still. At Christmas I thought maybe we could pack them up and put them away. Not yet. As his mama, I am glad that he still putters with them.