Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's in Peace Town, USA

We beat some pots and pans to bang out the old, bang in the new!

My friend, Jim Corbett (AKA "Mr. Music") likes to throw peace parties.

Peace parties are where people get together to experience peace, joy, love, and happiness. Like a lot of us in Sebastopol, Jim doesn't like war. But he feels that protesting against war doesn't create peace. Only peace begets peace. So he throws peace party.

He even wants the Sebastopol City Council to declare itself "Peace Town, USA" and has drafted a resolution to that effect.

Three of the Council members came to his party tonight. They'll take up his proposal at the next City Council meeting in January. It has a good chance of passing, I think.

Here's a photo of the part of the party where the proposed declaration was announced.


Larry Robinson, Kathleen Shafer, and Sarah Gurney, Mayor.
The Love Choir stands behind them.


Jim's "Love Choir" performed and then it was time for the drumming circle, which, for my money was the best part of the evening. I whipped out my camera and took a short video clip of the Drum-unity activity so you can get a feel for what it was like:



(With apologies for the darkness. It's my first video on youtube!)






3 comments:

Culmom37 said...

Ha Ha!!! I had to laugh because I was trying to sleep while my neighbor outside was banging pots and pans together! I wasn't much of a party-goer this year! Looks like you all had a great time.

I still read your blog all the time. I may not comment as much, but know that I am still lurking!

The kiddies say hello and are excited to get back to school. I am going to miss them when they go back on Monday!

James Gurney said...

A peace party! What a good idea. Hope to see more videos on Mr. Kindergarten.

Mr. KinderG said...

Yes, we made a fair amount of noise at midnight. Hope we didn't wake anyone up!

Culmom, you may want to zip over to my other blog, Mindful Heart which I'm going to put more energy into in 2009. I'm glad to have your comments again.

I plan to do some videos now that I know how. They'll appear mostly on Mr. Kindergarten. I like seeing the Youtubes on your blog, too.

Thanks for commenting!