Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Telecast


When I was a boy I remember seeing the Presidential Inauguration of John F. Kennedy at a school assembly. I recall him saying "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." I was 9 years old on that day, a good deal older than the kindergarten students I now teach. That moment has stuck with me, and today I am glad my teacher took my class to see the telecast.

I wanted my class to witness this moment in history, so we gathered in the room next door to watch television coverage of the swearing in ceremony and President Obama's speech.

My students sat with their fifth grade buddies.

1 comment:

Alden said...

And what a moment in history it is, not just for the American people but also for the world. The expectations on him are high but as he has rightly said, it is not just about the policy he makes but about how the USA pulls together to do the much needed work, it is the people of the USA who have to make it all work, not just one man - he has my support