Thursday, January 22, 2009

Budding Artists

Jack's been going through Ed Emberley's Green Drawing Book.
Look at his fantastic work!


I am always delighted to witness the budding of a future artist in kindergarten.

I sometimes see remarkable efforts, as I did when Jack S. (above) showed me what he had been up to during choice time today. These moments recall a time beginning about 45 years ago when I enjoyed the special privilege of witnessing my brother, James Gurney's, artistic talents blossom throughout his childhood.

You can enter into the world of my brother's work by clicking the Gurney Journey link on the sidebar.

It is a special thrill to see the world of art open to my students.

3 comments:

Alden said...

I really love childrens artwork, it is without pretension, spontaneous and honest whatever the developmental stage - many great artists have said that to paint really well, they somehow have to use their adult skills and experience combined with a childlike approach in terms of attitude when working.

Mr. Kinder said...

My brother, the artist once said something like "It's my ambition to stay in kindergarten forever." Something like that. Jim, what was it you said in Life Magazine??

Anyway, I'm the one in the family tht achieved that ambition.

James Gurney said...

Thanks for sharing the work of your students. Even in the small picture, I could see that Jack got some variation in the sky color and a crashing wave that went back in perspective.

I think I said, "If you don't grow up by age 35, you don't have to." Everyone I know who does art for a living tries to reconnect to that total immersion that comes naturally for kindergartners.

There have been art movements where adults try to draw like kindergartners, but I think that's silly and impossible. As a kindergartner, I remember wanting to draw more realistically than I was able to do at the time, and that's where you really helped as an older brother, showing me both how to observe better and invent better.

I think kids need less praise when they're drawing, and more of a kind of sympathetic, useful assistance, getting into the mindset of what they're trying to accomplish, and helping them to do it more successfully, as you would do for a kid playing a clarinet.