Sunday, August 24, 2008

Poncia's Gift


At the end of his kindergarten year, Max, now in third grade, gave me a present: a one gallon seedless red flame grape plant.

I planted it near the trellis in my front yard and it's been growing there since. In the middle of the night for the last couple of weeks, raccoons have been climbing up and sampling them, but, frankly, they've been over-eager. The grapes have been sour.

But the heat over the weekend has pushed a lot of sweetness into the grapes. It's harvest time!

I'll bring some into school to share with the kindergarten.

Thanks Max, Olivia, and the rest of the Poncia family!

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Yum! Grapes galore!

Dan Gurney, Mr. Kindergarten said...

And, boy, are they tasty! I took some to school with me to share with the new kindergarten students and they disappeared.

I LOVE food that has a small carbon footprint, like homegrown anything.