Friday, June 20, 2008

Summer Solstice

Ah, the longest day of the year in the northern hemisphere, Summer Solstice.

To celebrate, Ted and I took the 2 kayaks out to Tomales Bay. Tomales Bay is one of the prettiest places I know of and it's a 40 minute drive from where I live. They say there are lots of sharks in it. Maybe. They haven't ever bothered me, though. And they keep the bay empty of shark-fearing human company. It's a good deal.

The tide was really low. Where Ted is standing there is usually water at low tide.

It was uncharacteristically hot and calm. We shed our life jackets halfway across the bay.

Two thumbs up. We're good to go.

We shared a snack on Indian Beach, a bagel and a banana. The bagel was local, the banana made an awfully long journey for our nourishment.


Indian Beach on the western shore, across from Marconi Cove.

I'm proudly wearing an NYU med school T-shirt, a gift from Liz. Also a new sunblocker hat and two layers of 50 SPF sunscreen.


Back home, man it was hot! I decided to get my annual summer buzz cut this afternoon.

4 comments:

Culmom37 said...

It sure was hot today! Dad was at work so I took Connor and Belle to Infineon Raceway to watch the qualifying for Sundays race and it was 105 degrees. There is not much shade at the race track so I was happy I slathered the SPF 50 all over our bodies. Amazingly, nobody got sunburned!!!! Hats and sunglasses also helped us out.

I had a little chuckle when I saw your haircut because I gave Connor the same "do" when summer started.

I am glad you and Ted are enjoying your time together. Enjoy it while you can!

cryogenetics said...

Mr. Gurney,
Blaine loves your haircut! We are glad you are having a good summer and are able to spend time with Ted......Congrats to him. It seems like a long time away, until my kids are at that point. As for the banana, our carbon foot print is sometimes altered for things we like. We at home just try to enjoy them even more.
Keep blogging, we love reading

Katherine said...

Ah! Kayaking.

Dan Gurney, Mr. Kindergarten said...

My Summer Solstice buzz cut always gets more reaction than I expect. My wife says it makes me look like a Marine, but I don't feel like a Marine.

My head stays cool, and in this summer weather, that's a good thing. No combing, no helmet hair when I get off my bike, easy washing, and it'll last all summer long. What's not to like?

Culmom, hats off to you for keeping sunburn at bay. Or maybe hats ON is a better way to say this.

Cryogenetics, your eldest is halfway to high school graduation on a time line from birth to graduation. The second half goes more quickly than the first half.