Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Cum Folders


The final day of the school year isn't really the end-of-the-year carnival.

It's the day after that when we return to school to fill out cumulative folders where we duly note days of attendance and absence and inventory supplies that have been used up this year and need to be ordered for the next. It's a quiet day, no kids around, and it unfolds slowly for me.

I'm sure it's easy to imagine that teachers are elated with the arrival of summer. There's a sense of relief, that's true. Summer offers a chance to catch the breath and to reflect on the year just finished.

I cannot speak for other teachers, but along with the welcome feelings of relief come feelings of sadness with the departure of another class as they move on to first grade. Happy memories made this year begin to slip inexorably into the past.

I turn my attention to deferred projects around the house and to think about books to read.

This online newsletter will go on sporadically over the summer. I still have several pages of the Important Book to post. And I'll be thinking about this life work of mine: teaching. And when I have a thought worth sharing, I'll put it up here.

2 comments:

Culmom37 said...

Thank you again for a great year and I look forward to reading your summer posts!

Dan Gurney, Mr. Kindergarten said...

Thanks! I appreciate all the comments you've posted since the beginning of Mr. Kindergarten.