Thursday, May 8, 2008

Georgia O'Keeffe

This morning we did paintings in the style of Georgia O'Keeffe—flowers so big you cannot fail to see them.

I was particularly pleased by the way the students became absorbed in using their brushes attentively in an effort to discover new ways to put paint on the paper.

The lesson comes from an art curriculum we use that comes out of Del Mar, California called Arts Attack. You can tell it comes out of actual classroom practice. They've got a website here: Link

Kaylee paints with care.


Some quotes from Georgia O'Keeffe:

On flowers:

So I said to myself-I'll paint what I see-what the flower is to me but I'll paint it big and they will be surprised into taking the time to look at it-I will make even busy New Yorkers take time to see what I see of flowers. "

"I hate flowers. I only paint them because they're cheaper than models and they don't move. "

On singing:

Singing has always seemed to me the most perfect means of expression. It is so spontaneous. And after singing, I think the violin. Since I cannot sing, I paint."

On courage:

I've been absolutely terrified every moment of my life -- and I've never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do."

To view an online gallery O'Keeffe's luminous paintings, (parent alert--it includes some nudes) go here: Link

No comments: