Saturday, May 24, 2008

Fruit Salad Salsa

Our chorus teacher, Andrew, has been singing with us this month. One of his songs is called "Fruit Salad Salsa."

We used his song as the recipe for our cooking table activity in the past week. The song mentions mangoes, papayas, bananas, apples, oranges, and pineapple as being in the salad, so that's what we put in. Snack included some fruit salad each morning for seven days.

As someone who did not get to taste mango or papaya until I was in my twenties, I felt happy to be able to introduce these special tropical fruits in their natural form to five and six year old students.


(The historian in me reminds me of just how fortunate we are to live in a time and place where we can taste food that has traveled so far and so quickly to reach our plates. Conditions allowing this sort of privilege are exceedingly rare from an historical perspective.)

No comments: