Monday, February 11, 2008

Quiet Monday at School

I thought that it would be a good idea to stop by the classroom over the weekend before tomorrow morning. A week away is a long time. I needed to check on things.

Had the eggs in the incubator hatched?

Would I find little yellow chicks running around the floor?

You never know.

I wanted to come up with some center activities to do in the coming weeks. Jot down some plans.

I needed to decide on an art center to start things off on Tuesday.

So I drove to Dunham in the mid afternoon.

I was the only person at Dunham today as far as I know.

It was lonely.

Quiet.

When I opened the classroom door, the first thing I saw was a big box of oranges. A note said they were from Sergio.



We'll make orange juice out of these.



On my cajon I found this yellow book. I picked it up and read every page. Books like this can be hard to read because you have to blink back tears. I was touched. It occurred to me that I should post each page, but, no, that's nuts.



I decided to post only two pages, the first and last. Here's the first page:




And here is the last page:


Up on the chart pad, I found this message from everyone.

It was cheering to come to school and see all this kindness.

I was glad to see these things when I was all alone and in time to dab away my tears.

Thanks, everyone.

3 comments:

poncia5 said...

I'M ALWAYS IMPRESSED HOW TOUCHED YOU STILL ARE BY YOUR "KINDERGARTEN KIDS" AFTER MANY YEARS OF TEACHING.. IT IS WONDERFUL! WHEN ROCCO AND I WOKE OLIVIA UP THIS MORNING, THE SAME WAY AS EVERY MORNING, " GOOD MORNING, HOW DID YOU SLEEP, IT IS A TERRIFIC TUESDAY ECT..., SHE SAT UP LOOKED AT US AND SAID WITH A BIG SMILE, "MR. GURNEY IS BACK TODAY". WE ACCEPTED THAT AS HER "GOOD MORNING".

culmom37 said...

All weekend Belle talked about how it is almost Tuesday and Mr. Gurney would be coming back! She also talked about her letter to Mr. Gurney and how proud of it she was. I truly believe that Mr. Gurney is a special teacher who blesses those hearts of the children who are lucky enough to be touched by him. WELCOME BACK...WE ALL MISSED YOU!

Dan Gurney, Mr. Kindergarten said...

Poncia5, yes, I still feel that way. In some ways the sense of importance of what kindergarten teachers do—a feeling I had especially strongly in my first year of teaching—is still with me.

All those years of teaching have made me even more aware of how my behavior might affect my students. I don't, no can't take it lightly.

culmom37, it's good to be back. Boy, though, after a week of resting, it's a bit startling to see how much energy it takes to be a kindergarten teacher.