Wednesday, January 2, 2008

3 Fingers Point at You

A kindergarten lesson:

Look up. Find something to criticize.

Point at it with your “pointer” finger.

Notice that three fingers point right back at you.

A grown up lesson:

I try to keep this phonmenon in mind whenever I’m tempted to point out someone else’s shortcomings.

It applies to everyone. Even Gandhi.

One of my favorite quotes from Gandhi goes like this:

“I have only three enemies. My favorite enemy, the one most easily influenced for the better, is the British Empire. My second enemy, the Indian people, is far more difficult. But my most formidable opponent is a man named Mohandas K. Gandhi. With him I seem to have very little influence.”

Gandhi obviously loves his enemies. Like Jesus taught. Loving your enemy is SO hard!

By George, I try!

It would be good for my fellow countrymen and women to take Gandhi’s enemy list seriously.

What’s wrong can be fixed most quickly if we look in the mirror first, in our neighborhoods second, and overseas last of all.

2 comments:

sylvia said...

Hi Dan

thanks for nice blogging ....Champions and people who have achieved something beyond their best in the sense of obtaning a better world are
great models to all humankind....

Also, as french mathematician wrote
- Condorcet, all remains " games theory "
- Poincaré : a beautiful idea has chances to be true...

So we should separate the idea of Life as biological marvel and the idea of Life in society that may appear as very subtle ( or depending where a kid is born...very hard for instance read David Copperfield )....

Anyhow, let's go in the flow to do our best...
thanks, have a nice day

Anonymous said...

the "pointer finger" theory is very familiar to me. my grandfather used it all the time... i think of it often but it has been awhile since i actually heard it, thanks for the reminder.