Thursday, January 24, 2008

5 moments

A day in kindergarten contains many magical moments—little jewels of time—each day.

Before I began blogging I could not find a way to share these fleeting gems with anyone outside the classroom. Over the years, I have dropped them into our dinnertime conversations, regaling my wife with stories of kindergarten—often without regard to whether she might be interested. I think she knows something about kindergarten alchemy.

But I'm not sure I'm able to convey all this magic in words. It is difficult to capture in words the twinkling in the eyes of a child who's suddenly just "got it."


Even blogging misses most of these magical moments. But it sure beats the old paper newsletters I used to send home on Fridays. But, like unicorns, the best moments in kindergarten evade capture in words or photos.

Today, for example, right at KIDS program dismissal we had a fine little hootenany. I tuned three kids guitars to an open G chord so they would harmonize with the steel drum. We added a djembe and some custom-made lyrics (a get-well verse for Kiyana's little sister) and we mixed it all up and got, well, joy.

Belle's mom got to see the last minute of it. The way she was beaming, I know she knows. She said what I was thinking,

"I wish I had a camera!"

A camera would have missed the music, and the somehow even a good part of the magic, too. You kind of have to be there. Oh well.

Once in a while I do manage to pull my camera out. Here are a few of the pictures I've taken recently:



Olivia makes quite a design with the pattern blocks!



Mrs. Frech took this one of Isaac jamming with Mr. Gurney



Trey's ready for PE with Ms. Campbell.
(This photo was taken last Friday when the sun was out.)




Kaylee lost her second tooth last week.



And she can read all the Soundabet key words!
Yeah, Kaylee!

5 comments:

poncia5 said...

I BELIEVE IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE TO KEEP UP WITH YOUR "MAGICAL MOMENTS" IN A DAY MR. GURNEY (AND MRS. FRECH TOO!) LET ALONE THE TIME YOU HAVE INVESTED IN TEACHING. SO I'M GRATEFUL FOR YOUR BEAUTIFUL PICTURES YOU SHARE AND YOUR WONDERFUL INFO ABOUT THE KIDS, THE CLASS AND LIFE!! THANK YOU.

James Gurney said...

Your blog posts DO capture the magic, Dan. You've obviously have made learning the most fun part of living, which it is, of course. And what a good idea to tune a guitar to an open chord so that anyone can get music out of it right away.

Dan Gurney, Mr. Kindergarten said...

Thanks, Jim! It's hard to know if the words and pictures convey the feeling of joy, but hearing from readers of the blog that it does is encouraging.

Heidi said...

Your class looks like so much FUN! What a wonderful teacher you are!
Heidi Butkus
(the HeidiSongs Heidi) :)

Dan Gurney, Mr. Kindergarten said...

Thanks, Heidi!

Actually, since the conference, you've been a part of the magic. I bought a copy of both your DVDs and we sing your songs about numbers and letters.

Look for a post soon about you and your Heidi Sings materials.