Thursday, December 27, 2007

DECODE THIS! CONTEST

This Christmas I unwrapped a thoughtful gift from my wife's sister and her husband (Thanks, Lynne and Bill!) that may remind people of the hard work kindergarten teachers and their students do: recognize text and decode it.

The gift, a deck of 48 knowledge cards from Pomegranate Press, reminds me of the challenges faced by a five year-old in kindergarten these days. Learning to read is actually much much harder than the puzzles in this deck.


The cards look like this.

I made up my own cryptogram of a saying that has helped me through difficult classroom moments. It's one of my favorite sayings. I hope you'll try.

The first person to e-mail me the correct answer to this will get a free copy of my Deeply Beautiful CD to keep or give away.*** E-mail your answer to dangurney@soundabet.com and include a mailing address so I can send you your prize.

***Winners have already been contacted and will receive their prizes in the mail. Still, I hope you'll have fun with working the puzzle. E-mail your answer for the fun of it as of Saturday forward. Thanks.

To help you solve the puzzle, I provide you with the decoded attribution.

I'll post the answer January 3.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

if im not mistaken i believe this came from the legend of the seeker's book of counted shadows and the translation is: take care of this moment and you'll take care of all time?

Anonymous said...

http://www.sword-of-truth.com/sot/images/episode_stills/other/book_of_counted_shadows_07.jpg

i do see remarkable similarities between these two documents. although maybe not identical they are similar and one may have been based of the other.

Dan Gurney said...

That's right, Anon! That was awhile back!

Anonymous said...

yeah i just realized that when you mentioned it sorry about that, but i do enjoy a challenge especially things like this.