Friday, November 30, 2007

Dad's Birthday

Today, November 30, is my father's birthday.

He'd have turned 84 today if he were still alive.

As I took roll this morning, I told the class that I'd be thinking about my dad and missing him, and that I felt sad. I told them he taught me to love sailing and bicycling.
Here is what my dad looked like when he was about kindergarten age, just before the Great Depression.

One girl offered, "You could go to the ocean and throw in some roses. That's what we did for Opah when he died."

A little later a boy came over and told me,

"Make a little sailboat and let it go with with flowers."

Sometimes you blink back tears and carry on.

2 comments:

John Robert said...

A fitting picture since he loved cycling so much. I still have his old Cioc here. It needs a bit of cleaning up and it would be ready to roll.

Dan Gurney, Mr. Kindergarten said...

Hi John,

Consider setting it up as a fixed gear. It would be an ideal candidate for fixing.

See fixedgeargallery.com for inspiration.